Water filters provide an inexpensive solution to purifying tap water. Among the most searched for water filter brands, Pur Maxion and Brita Longlast are among the top in the list.
In terms of their efficiency in contaminant reduction both of these filters compete very well with other water filters such as Zero Water Pitchers, Aquagear Water Pitcher, Berkey Water Filter, Clear Genius Water Filter, Clearly Water Pitchers, etc.
Most reviews also mention Pur Maxion and Brita Longlast as the best buy water filters. Why is that so?
There are a couple of reasons why Pur Maxion is popular. These reasons are
- The Pur Maxion filter is an easy way to get better water at low cost. This filter is good for about 100 gallons of water.
- Pur Maxion is best known for lead reduction,
- It’s also known for its automatic monitor gauge. This lets the user know how long it takes to replace the filters.
- Its filtered water has novelty flavor options.
- It filters water in 2-stage removing up to 99% of contaminants.
The Brita Longlast filter is popular for a number of reasons. These reasons are;
- Brita Longlast filter cartridges are readily available. There are a wide variety of other Brita cartridges such as Brita Classic Cartridge, Brita Maxtra Cartridge, Brita water filter cartridge Multifit, etc.
- Brita Maxion filters unpleasant tastes and odors from tap water caused by chlorine and chlorine by-products.
- It also helps to remove 99% of aluminum and even heavy metals such as copper and lead from water. Brita Maxion reduces all other impurities to undetectable and safe levels.
What makes Pur Maxion And Brita Water Filters Pitchers different? There are a different comparison criteria one could use to compare these two water filters.
These criteria include;
- Filter efficiency
- Speed of filtration
- Taste test
The table below gives a highlight of the main differences between these water pitchers.
Pur Maxion vs. Brita Longlast Comparison Table
|Pur Maxion||Brita Longlast|
|Filter Life||100 Gal||120 Gal|
|Chlorine taste & odor||Yes||Yes|
Brita Longlast Filtration Efficiency
Brita Longlast features a patented pleated media and exclusive active filter agents that filter standard 42 and 53 contaminants up to 120 gallons.
Brita Longlast is however best known for its 99% Lead filtering capability. It does this through activated carbon and ion exchange resin. However, Brita has no significant effect on TDS.
Activated carbon also eliminates substances, such as chlorine and chlorinated compounds which affect the taste of drinking water. The ion exchange resin removes Lead by 99% as well as 99% of carbonated hardness (limescale) and other heavy metals.
Brita Maxion filter also removes radiological such as Radon 222 to below detectable limits as well as removes or reduces nitrates and nitrites. It reduces traces of rust, pesticides, and herbicides making your water safe to drink.
Most water filters, including Brita Longlast do not effectively remove bacteria, fungus, and viruses. The most effective way to eliminate bacteria, fungi and viruses is through reverse osmosis.
That said, however, most tap water has already been treated to remove bacteria and other harmful microorganisms. So, Brita water is safe to consume.
Brita water pitchers nonetheless don’t get rid of trace nutrients that are actually very good for you.
Is Brita Longlast worth it?
Well in a test that was carried out on a Brita filter using the average tap water discovered that the resulting filtered water was 10,000x more bacteria than the average tap water with no Brita filter.
It is, therefore, preferable to use the water filter Brita pitcher than nothing at all.
Pur Maxion Filtration Efficiency
Pur Maxion Water filter reduces water contaminants through a blend of activated carbon and ion exchange.
It’s activated carbon is a micron-sized filter with a huge inner surface, filled with wedges and nooks that increase its inner surface area.
A single gram of Pur water filter has a large surface area which means that there are more very small pores to absorb contaminants. A one-micron Carbon of Pur Maxion filter is effective in removing up to 99% of Lead, 96% mercury, 97% of chlorine.
The carbon attracts and traps chemicals and impurities through adsorption.
The Pur Maxion is also very effective at removing bacteria. It has been proven to be highly effective for eliminating bacteria causing disease by 99%, including cholera, typhoid, Salmonella, E. coli, Fecal Coli form.
Pur Maxion water filter will remove these contaminants while leaving mineral essential minerals such as calcium and magnesium which are good for the body.
The filter reduces heavy metals such as aluminum, cadmium, chromium, copper and mercury by 95%.
It removes Volatile Organic Compounds (VOC) such as Atrazine and Benzine to below detectable limits.
It balances the water to pH 7 while reducing the TDS measure to < 500 ppm.
One setback though, is that the Pur Maxion water filter pitcher isn’t certified to remove fluoride.
Brita Longlast Design Structure
Brita Longlast is an elegant, white water filter with a shape and design that ensures that it can fit into the fridge.
Assembling it is easy pissy. It easily snaps together.
The filter is also large enough to hold 10 cups and filter up to 40 gallons every two months (120 gallons total capacity).
The best thing about the Brita Longlast cartridge is that it can be inserted into other brands of Brita pitchers as well as many other pitchers.
It’s a beneficial addition to your household.
When to Replace the Brita Longlast Filter
If your Brita water starts to have the odor of chlorine, and the water tastes metallic, you ought to change the cartridge.
Pur Maxion Design Structure
PUR Maxion Water Filter is a large-capacity pitcher, and it filters fairly quickly, pours cleanly, and is easy to assemble.
The Pur Maxion cartridge is made of 4 stages of filtration, which include intensive pre-filtration, ion exchange filtration, activated carbon filtration, and intensive final filtration. This guarantees that you drink purified clean water.
With PUR Water Pitcher, you will not only drink water, but you have a choice of fruit-flavored cartridges.
The flavors feature is a smart feature. You can go from taking flavored carbonated waters and sodas to drinking more water. You can customize this feature by simply pressing a button.
The cartridges vary in taste from raspberry, peach, strawberry, lemon and grape.
However, the flavors vary with different pitchers, so you also have the choice of drinking flavored-free water or choosing a different flavor.
The pitcher provides up to 100 gallons of clean, refreshing water, usually over a period of two to three months.
When to replace Pur Maxion filter cartridge
The PUR Maxion water filter has an integrated LED indicator on the purifier that tracks the life of the cartridge and warns you when to replace the filter.
The LED indicator is an easy way to see when it’s time to replace your filter, as it measures the time the filter was in the pitcher.
The LED indicator works by binding the molecules of contaminants to an active carbon filter.
The LED indicator colors are;
A green light indicator is an indication that the water filter is functioning properly and that the filter is filtering your drinking.
When the water filter begins to clog with impurities, the LED indicator turns yellow. The yellow light indicates that the water filter of the is becoming less effective and that you should change it soon.
This is an indication that you need to replace the carbon water filter immediately. The water filter has expired. It has accumulated enough contaminants, so remove the filter and replace it.
It’s recommended that you replace the filter every 100 gallons or 8 weeks if you live alone or at least every month if you have a family, and once a month if you live with a significant other.
How to Change Pur Maxion water filter
This is how you change and install the Pur Maxion water filter cartridge.
For a plastic pitcher or dispenser, you should soak the new filter cartridge before screwing it in the pitcher or the dispenser.
Soaking will remove all air bubbles and will allow any excess carbon from the filter to lift out and separate so it doesn’t get in your drinking water. Soaking the filter will also make sure that the water runs evenly when you use it.
Replacing the carbon filter is a simple process that only takes a few steps.
- First loosen the stopper, then twist the old cartridge counterclockwise to remove it.
- Next, remove the new filter and soak it in cold water for around 10 minutes.
- Next, wash the pitcher with your hand, then rinse thoroughly.
- Next, rinse the new cartridge and then screw it clockwise into the pitcher to secure it.
- Lastly, fill the tray with cold water and let it drain completely into the pitcher.
Be sure to reset your PUR Maxion water filter knob each time you change your filter. Resetting the PUR Maxion water filter is a simple step-by-step procedure.
First press and hold the reboot button for 5 seconds. Second, the indicator light will flash appropriately during the reset mode.
An old water filter cartridge might result in potentially harmful effects on the environment if the cartridge is not properly disposed of. The disposed cartridges can also pose a health risk because it’s perfect for multiplication grounds for bacteria.
Brita and PUR have teamed up with TerraCycle to create recycling programs for their pitchers, bottles, filters, distributors, faucet holders and all packaging, making water filtration products 100% waste-free.
You can return the cartridges to Brita who, in turn, ship them to their German recycling plant. In this case, the components are processed for secondary purposes.
Pur Maxion Vs Brita Longlast Speed Of Water Filtration
- 0.8 cups/min
- 7 cup capacity
- 100 Gal Filter life
- 1.05 cups/min
- 10 cup capacity
- 120 Gal Filter life
The Pur Maxion compared to the Brita Longlast is a great choice. Both filters are effective in removing contaminants from water, but they differ in how they remove them.
Compared to Pur Maxion filter, the Brita Longlast filters water much faster. It filters approximately 1.05 cups/min while Pur Maxion Filters 0.8 cups/min.
This can be attributed to the fact that it has fewer filtration layers than Pur Maxion and so it removes contaminants faster than Pur Maxion does.
However, the benefit that Pur Maxion gives you even though it takes longer to filter is that it will remove more contaminants compared to Brita Longlast.
Pur Maxion filters also give you a shorter lifespan than Brita Longlast filters. The Pur Maxion will filter an average of 100 Gallons while Brita Longlast will filter an Average of 120 Gallons.
Pur Maxion vs Brita Longlast: Taste Test
- Reduces 92% of chlorine
- Reduces 70% of chlorine
The taste of tap water is an important factor for many people. For example, the taste of tap water can affect the mood and even the health. The reason is that water contains a lot of minerals and other minute particles that make the taste of tap water.
Chlorine and other minute particles are responsible for bad odor and taste in tap water.
The chlorine concentration in tap water varies from 0.5 ppm to 2ppm depending on where you live and what kind of water you drink.
Not only does Pur Maxion filter out more chlorine and other impurities than Brita Longlast, but also it produces cleaner, clearer water with less sediment and no unpleasant taste or odor.
This is attributable to the choice of fruit-flavored cartridges feature present in Pur filters and the 4 multi layered filters.
Benefits of Water Filters
- Better taste and smell; Water filters are very efficient in removing funny tastes and smell of water
- Healthier water; through adsorption, the water filter eliminates metals such as lead, copper and mercury. Chemicals like chlorine and organic compounds have an effect on taste and water. According to The US Council of Environmental Quality, the presence of these chemicals increases the risk of cancer by 93 percent.
- Less expensive; in addition to being one of the best ways to clean and purify your drinking water, water filters are inexpensive and come in a variety of forms. This makes them handy for household use. You will save money on bottled water, which is typically 30x more expensive.
- Environmental protection; bottled water contributes to increased environmental pollution. Statistically, one million bottled water is sold around the world every minute while less than half are recycled while the rest are dumped into water bodies such as lakes and oceans. With a water filter, you can get rid of the need to buy single-use bottled water.
- Food tastier, better tea, and drink more water; There is a special flavor with filtered water which makes tea and food taste better. In areas where water is especially hard a water filter will make the difference to the water that you use to make tea, food, or hydration. The PUR water filter improves the mineral content of the water by eliminating harmful chemicals while letting dissolved minerals improve the pH. The chemicals that are removed from the water also mean that the food will taste naturally.
- 10 Best Countertop Water Filters from Reddit: (Buying Guide & Reviews) - September 28, 2022
- How Shower Filter Prevent Hair Loss - December 27, 2021
- How Do I Choose A Water Softener For My Well? (Ultimate Guide to Finding the Best Water Softener) - November 29, 2021